Sunday, February 19, 2012

Full Circle

Yesterday, we set sail from our dock in St. Kitts. It was a tight beat to windward with 10-15 knows of wind. Here’s our receding view of the island.



We were headed over to Nevis. Nevis was discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1493. He named it Nevis because the volcanic center is always cloud covered and the often look like snow (neve in Spanish).

I personally discovered Nevis thirty years ago. I was contacted by Pam Barry who owns the Golden Rock on Nevis. She needed sailboards for her beach front and we worked out a product trade; rooms for boards. I packed up the family in Vermont and we headed on down. It was an arduous trip involving planes, autos and ferries. Once here we sat by the pool, took in the beach, tried to hike volcano (probably not the best idea with young kids) and I tried to relax. However, the nagging pressures of business back home grew and grew in my mind to the point where I cut short the vacation and we headed home. Looking back, I can’t remember one of those business issues that seemed so pressing then. What I do know is that, on that trip, I shortchanged the most precious of things, time to just be with the family and to just experience the place where I was.



Now thirty years later, I find myself back on Nevis with a bit more balanced approach to life. The kids couldn't join me this time but I’m able to visit with a good friend and just enjoy the island, the great colors and the friendly people. I'm thankful to have had a second chance.



No comments:

Post a Comment